• Subscribe
  • AMA: I was a tech recruiter for 7 years. Here are 11 facts you should know:

Mick Essex
    18 replies
    1. Each resume only gets about a 12-second look. Make an immediate impact. 2. Regardless of the vacancy, there are no less than 200 applicants per position. Gotta stand out. 3. Recruiters will inject their own biases and make a stronger case for someone they personally identify with. (same school, same previous employer, etc.) 4. In most cases, more than one offer is made for the same position. (and often, the offer will be different) 5. Making them wait for an answer is not a power play. Reply asap. 6. If you use a 3rd party recruiting service, their commission is usually based on the salary they can get you. Trust me, they want you to make as much as possible. Let them negotiate. 7. If you are NOT using a recruiting service, there is no fee attached to hiring you, which can give you a better chance + makes you a less risky hire. 8. The smart play is to do both. Recruiters have the inside track & a relationship with the company. They can open doors you can't. 9. You are interviewing the company as much as they are interviewing you. Do your homework. Have 6-8 questions ready to ask. And don't wait til they ask "Do you have any questions for us?" Make the interview a dialogue and not just a Q&A. 10. Eliminate the Objectives section. No one reads it. Replace it with a work summary. 11. Edit your resume for the job you're applying for. Make it relevant to that opening, and they will notice.

Replies

Lotanna Nwose
    MightyMeld for Tailwind
    MightyMeld for Tailwind
    Solid list Mick. Definitely resonate with #9. Always having your own questions and doing research. I am launching a new product soon, Iā€™d love your support. [Link in bio]
    Sherry L
    Thanks Mick, especially the objectives section. Need to remove mine!
    Mick Essex
    @shezzy04 It's a good idea! I hate to say things like that, but I want to helpful too, ya know?
    Nermin Kadiric
    Thanks for sharing Mick
    Thanks Mick, this rockstar advice! Very helpful
    Sambit Bhaumik
    Thanks for sharing these facts. All the points are quite helpful. For point 1, I'm curious as to how an immediate impact can be made in ~15 secs. Could you maybe share some examples?
    Mick Essex
    @sambit_bhaumik Sure Sambit. It connects with removing the Objectives section. If you convert this to a skills summary instead (and make it unique to each job you are applying for) it'll get noticed. The first thing I always looked for first was where are you working now, and how long have you been there. Then I would quickly scan the total number of jobs held and the length of stay at each one. I wanted to learn quickly how much job-hopping there is. Hiring is a very expensive and labor-intensive process. The last thing an employer wants is someone who often leaves jobs after only a few months.
    John Williams
    Thanks for these!
    Roza Zakaryan
    @mick_essex it was so helpful, I'll grateful to see more such a little articles
    Nishkarsh Srivastava
    Thanks a ton, Mick! Looks really solid. I resonate with #5
    Mick Essex
    @nishkarsh_srivastava I've seen many very qualified applicants lose a job opportunity because they waited too long to give an answer to an employer. So sad!