• Subscribe
  • Apple just killed thousands of startups. What can you do?

M Sulaiman
    7 replies
    Apple Intelligence is out, and now everyone's freaking out that their apps were killed in a single day by a conglomerate. Let's not be delusional; if you are building an OpenAI wrapper with absolutely no added value except its UI, it is bound to happen that sooner or later, someone will make a better version of it, and it won't even be hard.

Replies

Kabir
    So true! Many so-called AI startups are simply API wrappers. I've been advocating for a term that I coined, "Human First Design (HFD)," in building new software. AI, specifically Large Language Models (LLMs), is a smart tool that eliminates clunky computer interfaces, replacing them with human interfaces like voice, text, and vision. This will make computing more accessible to billions of people. We should use AI agents to make our software more accessible and automate tedious tasks that bore humans. That's why my note-sharing tool, ShowNotes, doesn't focus on AI. Instead, it prioritizes human knowledge and research, allowing shared notes to be search engine optimized, categorized, tagged, and safety-checked. These are all mundane tasks for smart, time-constrained humans. In my book, Human First Design (HFD) is a thing!
    M Sulaiman
    Thanks, Kabir! I completely agree. It seems like a lot of AI startups are just rebranding existing technology. I'm definitely interested in seeing more focus on Human-First Design (HFD) in the future.
    Henry Habib
    I've mentioned this before, but I think with Apple jumping in, it's not game over yet.  More people will be looking at AI apps. If start-ups play it smart and adapt, they can ride the wave and thrive. Need to think outside the box.
    M Sulaiman
    Hey Henry, that's a good point. Apple entering the market could definitely shake things up. It will be interesting to see how other companies respond and what kind of innovations we see. Are you specifically interested in how Apple's AI will impact the development of chatbots?
    Joseph Walker
    It was bound to happen eventually. Apple has the resources to build superior versions of many apps. My advice: find a niche and add unique value beyond just a nice UI. Go deeper than a generic AI assistant - maybe focus on a specific industry or use case, and build custom models and features tailored for that. Survive by doing what Apple won't. It won't be easy, but that's the reality now.
    Gurkaran Singh
    Well, it's like Apple pulled a startup purge, huh? Time to sprinkle some uniqueness into your tech concoction; add that secret sauce to stay ahead of the innovation game!
    Robert Thomas
    Tough situation, but there are still opportunities to stand out. Focus on building apps that add unique value beyond just a UI wrapper. Some ideas: 1) Integrate multiple LLMs and let users compare outputs side-by-side. 2) Specialize in niche domains like coding, creative writing, task automation etc and train your models for those specific use cases. 3) Provide a superior UX with features like voice input, image generation, and easy sharing/export of results. Don't give up - keep iterating and differentiating!