• Subscribe
  • Bootstrap or VC backed?

Tanvi Gandhi
    8 replies
    Let's discuss the pros and cons. Also, what would you prefer to begin with (while starting a company) or where would you prefer to work?

Replies

Pamela Green
    both bootstrap and VC-backed approaches have their unique benefits, depending on your company's nature, scalability, and risk tolerance, my personal preference leans towards bootstrapping to maintain control and make organic growth decisions, but I'm open to VC funding when the need for rapid expansion or a significant market opportunity arises.
    Tanvi Gandhi
    @pgreen819 I totally agree. Certain industries require money to manage scale. Also, if the marketing is not aggressive in specific industries, it is easy to get overtaken by competitors with money.
    Nirnimes
    I don't see the pros of being VC-Backed. Would you like to share any? @tanvi_gandhi
    Tanvi Gandhi
    @nirnimes Even though I am managing a bootstrapped company, one benefit I would say about getting a VC behind is that it gives good PR and helps to gain trust from clients. This can be achieved even with bootstrap but the trade-off would be the time required.
    Nirnimes
    @tanvi_gandhi I think the time required comes with another pro and that is the process of building that trust. Once you build that trust with your customers yourself, you'll know how to do it again or how to do it on scale. I think VC-Backed attention is a double-edged sword which gets you easy visibility but at the cost of actually understanding how my startup could've built that visibility and what is most important to my ICP or customers.
    Tanvi Gandhi
    @nirnimes Exactly my point. The time required might take a little or a lot longer depending on various factors. With VC-backed companies, arriving at the ICP might require less time but it comes at a higher price. Also, VCs are a huge benefactor for founders with limited capital. They come with money, contacts, and support. Having said all of that, I'm a bigger proponent of bootstrapped companies and would like to grow that way. I totally understand your point and currently, I'm using that same philosophy to grow. :)
    Kunal Mehta
    At ProApp, we believe in taking the bootstrap route to build our edtech application. It has allowed us to maintain complete control over our vision and product development while staying true to our mission of empowering learners worldwide. Our team has put in a lot of hard work and dedication to make ProApp a reality, and we're excited to share it with the Product Hunt community today. We'd love for you to check it out and see how ProApp can help you learn design in a fun and interactive way! 😊 You can find us on Product Hunt here: (https://www.producthunt.com/prod...)