• Subscribe
  • Chasing negative CAC - Examples and Ideas

Heleana Grace
    4 replies
    I've been obsessing over the idea of negative CAC and how to achieve it. Here are a few ways to achieve negative CAC and some examples of companies that did it right: 1. Self-sustainable media projects you incubate in-house or acquire 2. Crack the nut of user-generated content (like Notion did with community templates) 3. Being a barnacle on a whale - Grow within a larger ecosystem through their marketplace (like Pixel Union did with Shopify) I'm interested in creating self-sustainable media projects, and it's something I'm actively pursuing for Videodeck. HubSpot is doing it with MyFirstMillion Semrush is doing it with Backlinko.com Slidebean is doing it with their YouTube channel OptinMonster is doing it with WPbegginer FreightWaves SONAR is doing it with FreightWaves (check the first comment for info from Craig on how he did it) Essentially, what you want to do is to create a SELF-SUSTAINALBE place where you can attract and resonate with your people. The people that are likely interested in what you have to offer. Your ICP. If you do a good enough job building that media publication, you can go beyond monetizing it just by using it as a lead magnet. You can play with advertising, paid courses, paid newsletters, affiliates, and more. If you have a great internal content team with proven results, you should consider creating an independent media project. Yes, there are advantages to continuing to build and compound growth on existing initiatives, like your blog or existing content projects on your website. However, an external media project gives you the flexibility to do things you normally couldn't do on your own website. You get to own audiences instead of renting them.

Replies

Heleana Grace
    How Craig Fuller grew Sonar to 300M with an independent blog. https://x.com/FreightAlley/statu...
    Gurkaran Singh
    Creating a self-sustainable media project for Videodeck sounds like a riveting endeavor! It's like building a digital oasis in the vast content desert, attracting your tribe like bees to honey. Ready to flip that CAC upside down and make a splash in the media world?
    Amelia Rose Thornton
    I love the idea of creating self-sustainable media projects to drive growth and negative CAC. We've been experimenting with this at my company too - launched a blog covering industry news that's starting to gain traction and subscribers. Opens up opportunities to monetize through ads, affiliate deals, paid newsletters, etc beyond just generating leads. The key seems to be providing genuine value to your target audience vs just promotion. Excited to see more examples of companies nailing this playbook!