• Subscribe
  • How do you deal with employees who can't be taught and won't admit fault?

Austin Armstrong
    6 replies
    We all try our best to build a company with trust, loyalty and empathy, we also want our team to grow in terms of knowledge, skillsets and goals. But needless to say there are those who will be feeling that the management is not giving much effort or praises to them. Who has experienced such thing and how do you handle situations like this?

Replies

Nithya Rajan
    The expections from the employee should be clearly conveyed and regular 1-1 on each week or twice per week for new joiners is mandatory to let them align to that expectations that's one way to handle this situation. The core value of a company should add "ADMIT YOUR MISTAKES AND SHOUT OUT IF NEEDED HELP" - that way we encourage them to be open and shout out for help if needed. Sometimes regardless of what we do, if they don't feel they are in the culture they want to, they will leave.
    ccj
    Reiki by Web3Go
    For a startup, I think the most important thing is to form a real team, each team member can be self-driven to get things done. Collaboration brings out people's potential far more than hiring. But for most people, it is difficult to change the concept of employee in their minds. In this case, it is important to establish a direct channel of communication. We are willing to make mistakes, but in return, everyone needs to take responsibility.
    Austin Armstrong
    @yunjian Well said. Owner or managers can do all the best they can to make the employees feel as welcomed, comfortable and appreciated as possible. Now if the pressure of work catches up, especially with deadlines, it's the mindset of the employee that will be tie breaker.
    Nick
    I'm kind of a old school in my thought process on this, but there is a thin line between having empathy and trust in an employee, and receiving attitude and entitlement from employees or subordinates. I feel a large portion of employees in *ALL* fields, have recently entered their field with this sense of entitlement and attitude that they know how the company should be run, but have zero experience. Now there may be a few exceptional employees out there that can take a company from zero to hero with no experience. That being said, most just want to be the next CEO of a Fortune 500 company without any experience or working any lower positions, or in a sense earning their position or promotion to a higher position. Now that type of employee can either ruin your shop or make it great depending on if their ambition can be harnessed in a manner that allows for an open discussion, where the employee has a chance to learn and have professional development, but in the end the rules are the rules and upper management has the risk on their wallet, so subordinates should take all commands for the tower and should not question every decision. As for praises, "wow whoohoo" you did the job you were hired for and getting paid for....... Praises should occur, but I wouldn't be giving out attendance awards or pats on the back until substantial work has been achieved with the help of said employee.
    Austin Armstrong
    @reconcatlord I completely agree with you here! And very well said. You really hit it with the whole "entitlement" idea. I love my team but of course once in a while you end up with a bad hire and realize that once they are on board already. And we have those that will bring the help the company needs to become great.