• Subscribe
  • How much do new startups prefer spending on design per month ?

Kunal Rajelli
    7 replies
    How much would you prefer to spend per month on the design of your product?

Replies

Aleksandr V
    Hi Kunal, I think it depends on the startup. If we are talking about an average e-commerce/SaaS startup, then I'd say: 1. logo & branding 2. template for the website 3. emails etc With places like UpWork, you can get all of that for under 1k. However, as I mentioned above, it depends. Cheers.
    Kunal Rajelli
    Slingshot Design
    Slingshot Design
    @veryayskiy quite true, sounds pretty realistic and practical for new startups to spend under $1k for the essential design element.
    Richard Gao
    @veryayskiy @kunal_rajelli1 I would say now, it could even be cheaper for all of those for under $100, since there are now AI art tools that can do all of that much faster.
    Krishna Kumar
    Unless you are well funded (own or otherwise) or your product is for the design community, you would not initially spend significantly on design. There are many free or cheap templates, designers at services like fiverr and good interns that you can use. Once you are comfortable with your business mode, you can redesign
    Kunal Rajelli
    Slingshot Design
    Slingshot Design
    @kkumarkg Quite true Krishna, unfunded startups just want to get the MVP ready first and spend the minimum on the design.
    Richard Gao
    I can't give a solid answer because it depends on the size and needs of the startup. For me, I would say $0 on design since I'm doing everything myself, and expert design is not necessary at my stage. A good way to calculate what a startup's spending preferences on design would be, how much additional revenue would the design bring them? If the answer is more than the cost, then you have a winning price.
    Kunal Rajelli
    Slingshot Design
    Slingshot Design
    @richard_gao2 Certainly, there must be ROI if we are going to invest in design. I have mainly seen that founders invest in design upon having a successful "market test". Levelling up the UX of the landing page (their primary sales funnel) for a better conversion rate.