• Subscribe
  • How to detect bots' comments in your PH discussion? πŸ€–

I am here for answers. πŸ˜€ Daily, my conversations are flooded by fake profiles. (I am pretty curious how many I will be having under this post.) There are still some signs that detect them, but it is time-consuming and not so easy. This could help with detection: πŸ™„ Generic profile photo (saw profile photos of some celebrities). πŸ™„ That bot repeats keywords from your original post. πŸ™„ Non-sensical names. πŸ™„ They miss parts in the text (e.g. Our page [insert link]... :D) πŸ™„ Their profiles are without information. πŸ™„ If they have social media, they are empty as well. πŸ™„ Their Activity tab in profile: You can see many comments written at the same time (suspicious and impossible). What else?

Replies

hafid Ahlaqach
    I was feeling the same thing. I think if you used LLMs enough you recognize their tone
    Business Marketing with Nika
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    I am happy that I met some people when there was not that AI era so I can rely on them a little bit. History makes a difference. But it can change if even they start using AI. @hafid0x00
    Ksenia Meshkova
    I wanted to add this point too, but then I realized that sometimes I use gpt to check my English grammar, and my message could sound like I'm a bot, but I'm not πŸ˜…πŸ˜…
    Konok Nazmul
    @kksrm use Gemini or Claude, the tone is better than GPT.
    hafid Ahlaqach
    @busmark_w_nika I asked for feedback on my project and i got this comment "Your project is like a finely crafted code - ready to launch and make waves in the digital world! Time to let it spread its tech wings and soar!" I am 99% sure it's generated by an LLM. for me when i am seeking human interaction i want to interact with other humans, share our thoughts ... comments like these are just meaningless
    hafid Ahlaqach
    @kksrm I think that's alright. I would prompt it to keep my voice and fix the grammar
    Yvik Ye
    Actually, many "High-Level" bots can act like real humans, making it difficult to figure them out. They often come with well-prepared fake profiles and even use generated real-life photos. πŸ˜‚
    @xspiral I tried to check them, and have to admit, it is harder and harder because I want to interact only with people, not bots :D
    Martin MaričÑk
    @xspiral @busmark_w_nika I don't think so Nika. Wasn't pointing at you at all! πŸ˜… Just saying there's a lot of AI generated, superficial content on PH posted by real humans.
    Alexandre Contador
    Videco - AI Personalized Video
    Really needed it! It's funny when you see similar comments :p
    @alexdigitalmkt I started collecting some of them. :D it is such cringe.
    Federico Zuluaga Knorr
    There is a great article by Krissy Davis on WeAreDevelopers "How to Tell if Something Was Written by ChatGPT" The main points for me: - Keywords like: β€œcutting-edge software” or "ever-evolving landscape" - Unusually formal tone in text that's meant to be conversational or casual - A remarkable absence of meaning in the comment 🧐
    @federico_zuluaga_knorr notice that those AI answers do not make mistakes in the text. It is too clear and precise in grammar. People tend to make grammar mistakes. ChatGPT not. And sentences by ChatGPT are too long.
    Prem Saini
    There are these bots everywhere - Repetitive content everywhere - Their comments does not make any sense (they speak bullshit tbh) - If you ask them a question on their comment, you will never get a reply because they know *they don't have the answer for it* - Too much commenting and seeing similar profiles everywhere
    @prem_saini1 that's true. Never received any reaction from them. Currently started gaining some strange Japanese followers on Twitter too :D So I reduced them :DD
    Ksenia Meshkova
    Hey, Nika! Really good points, thank you! And what do you think? Do we need to report it if we're really sure that it is a bot? Once, I also had a comment that wasn't relevant to the discussion topic and asked me to open a strange link. I decided to report it. Do you think that was a good decision?
    @kksrm yes, I am also about reporting it. No addition to discussion.
    Simona O'Neill
    Yeah I can definitely spot AI constructed comments too. Just by looking at the words they use. Totally over the top stuff like "your 1K kitty coins are like the digital equivalent of striking gold in a cat-filled mine!" πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    Did you really have this comment? :D LOL @simona_o_neill3
    @simona_o_neill3 it is worse than I thought :D Twitter is almost the same and I do not want to go to LinkedIn so much :D it is like FB 2.0 :D
    Toni
    they paraphrase the original post and include words like : enhance, elevate, in the realm of, navigate, unleash, unlock, Harness.
    Alexandra Goss
    There are the whole networks of them Easy to spot if you check the Activity tab in their profile - they'll have the exact same product upvoted in the exact same order
    @alex_skazka + they do not have any streaks I mean... they are commenting almost every day but their profile doesn't count the streak.
    Tymek ZapaΕ‚a
    Thank you for this checklist, was looking forward for something like this. Bots are starting to be real pain in the ass. Sometimes I even wonder if it's the beginning of end of internet :( EDIT: I use AI heavily for myself for ideation and research but flooding forums with shitty comments is not the use of it I would ever approve
    @tymzap I also use chatgpt, for summarising, but it is total disrespect to waste other's people read time by ai generate comments.
    Kostya Bolshukhin
    This comment highlights the practical benefit of detecting comments from bots and uses an action verb hook to grab attention. It also mentions the target audience visitors to showcase relevance. "When you know β€” you know"
    Kostya Bolshukhin
    What really scares me is when real people write like bots or worse.
    @kostyabolsh :D I haven't thought about that like this, and when I am thinking about that... gosh :D scary movie 7 :D parody.
    AndrΓ© J
    I find it intriguing how GPT bots, with their remarkable ability to generate text, have become the virtual chameleons of conversation. Certainly, it's a marvel how they weave words into sentences that are both perplexing and delightful. What's more interesting is their knack for turning even the most mundane queries into epic narratives, replete with vocabulary that sounds like it was plucked straight from a thesaurus on a caffeine high. It's almost as if these bots attended a prestigious language academy in a parallel universe where the motto was, "Why say 'good' when you can say 'exceedingly superb'?" 😏
    @sentry_co reading this comment triggers the Backstreet Boys song in the background in my head: Tell me why? nanana 🎡🎡 No... really, tell me why ?
    AndrΓ© J
    @busmark_w_nika Which one? Bye bye bye? or was that n*sync πŸ€” (also please don't report my comment, I admit it, it was generated by a bot, I am guilty as charged πŸ˜‚)
    @sentry_co ayayay, gaps in music from the 90s and 00s. We will start with Backstreet Boys and when you are done with the whole list, so Baby one more time –> repeat it again to make sure that those singles will be playing in your head for the rest of your life.
    AndrΓ© J
    @busmark_w_nika I think I need to borrow a proper Sony discman w/ 10sec anti-skip-memory and AAA batteries. To really get the authentic experience and learn what you guys went through ^^
    @sentry_co I do not have that one but if you want to travel back in history, still have a vinyl with Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath and other '70s and '80s relics. There will not be a better music era.
    Saif Ullah Khalid
    Bubbl Widget
    Launching soon!
    Let's see how many bots are going to post comments on this discussion... 🀣
    My3 Murthy
    This has become a problem- I sometimes take time to figure out which is a bot account. But I am getting the hang of it. Words like unleash, elevate, keen, game-changing- set my alarms blaring. Also- some profiles ALWAYS have the same tone. They are always sarcastic, or always funny. That's another indicator
    @my3_murthy yes, those comments are without additional value, usually when I read those I am like: WTF? What the author wants to say me? :D
    Richard Reis
    AI Document Translator
    AI Document Translator
    Ah, good idea if someone wants to build a Product Hunt plugin πŸ‘€
    Richard Reis
    AI Document Translator
    AI Document Translator
    I also realized three things 1. Their replies are long/ verbose. 2. They'll summarize your post (e.g. "Great question Nika! Detecting bot comments is a real challenge especially as LLM technology proliferates bla bla bla") 3. The advice is generic (whereas you can tell when the advice is real because it contains some anecdote)
    Aruna Neervannan
    Run the reply through chatGPT and ask it to identify? :)
    Kabir
    If you know how to detect bots, let Elon know; he is trying for years now!
    @shownotes I think that those bots on Twitter are valid numbers for his quarter report :D he still makes up numbers to look pretty cool.
    CY Zhou
    Sometimes i use gpt to fix typos, and this makes my words sound like a bot! To avoid that, i force myself to be more tolerant to typos...
    @lightfield but you use AI comments, don't you? πŸ˜…
    @lightfield it is hard to differentiate what is created by AI and what is not. Even when one uses Grammarly for correcting, it is becoming less authentic. If you ever used ChatGPT to improve the answer, it uses specific words that look like created by ai. πŸ˜