• Subscribe
  • If time can be checked back, how will you approach your PM career?

Jerry Oginni
    7 replies
    As someone just beginning a career in product management, what strategies or actions would you prioritize for success, and are there any pitfalls or actions you'd avoid? Share your insights to inspire a discussion on the journey of starting a product management career.

Replies

Georgiana Dragu
    Connect with more people who were or are on the same journey. If you moved from engineering into product management talk a lot with those who did the same. I moved from investment banking into product and the most helpful peers were those who helped me leverage my strengths from former roles because they made the same moves. Always go back to the customer when thinking about product. I find product a mix of skills that one can build in other jobs and apply in pm (eg. work with various stakeholders, prioritize), and then learn by doing and asking questions.
    Sharon Sun
    Project management is a field that constantly evolves, and staying updated with the latest methodologies, tools, and best practices is essential. I would dedicate time to ongoing learning by attending relevant workshops, conferences, and webinars, and by reading industry publications and books on project management.
    Diogo Quintas
    Listen (or observe) one customer / user at least once per week. Do not try to gate keep your team - facilitate them to learn / listen to feedback from all sources. Do not become a single point of contact or bottleneck Do not become the NO person when working with stakeholders - often their ideas are rooted in deep knowledge... work with your stakeholders to flesh their ideas and connect them to your product strategy Find a community near you and mentors