• Subscribe
  • Is product demo/workflow video a good way to validate an idea?

Mahir Mahdi
    14 replies
    I'm just starting out as a Indiehacker and I'm trying to validate my idea. I'm considering putting together a demo or a video showing how the product works on the landing page. Would that be a good way to validate the idea?

Replies

Igor Lysenko
    If you present the idea correctly and speak out correctly, then the idea is good.
    Mahir Mahdi
    @ixord So as long as the message is clear, it's a good way right?
    Eliza Crescini
    Yes, creating a product demo or workflow video can be a good way to validate your idea. By creating a visual representation of your product or idea, you can get feedback from potential users and see if there is interest in what you're offering.
    Mahir Mahdi
    Hey Eliza, thanks! I believe sometimes even a landing page with a clear message is not enough, because people might be interested in our product, but they could have different preferences on how they want to use it. So product demo/workflow video can help us understand the users' needs better.
    Romio
    Yes. Sometimes not even a landing page is required. In the initial stage, to find the real target audiences, a quick demo video (YouTube unlisted) with proper text (some people always turn off their audio - and most probably "not in full view") is all needed. If you see a little bit of traction, then landing page. One additional thing is to keep a blog and note down all the updates and pivots.
    Mahir Mahdi
    Hey Romio, thanks! I was thinking the same. Did you ever use a product demo video to validate an idea? I've a notion page to note down every detail about the product I'm gonna work on, so maybe once it gets validated I'll start a blog.
    Romio
    @mahir_mahdi I have a created a few quick ones in the past (some were good, some were bad). my idea and understanding is this; when we pitch something to someone, (if they are not the seeker) they don't want to read a bunch of text and all. They want to see what it is and how it is going to help them/useful to them. Maybe you have max 30 to 40 seconds to grab their attention I guess. And add a link with all the details in the description, if they are interested, they will click on it, track that link analytics.
    Mahir Mahdi
    @romiojoseph Yes our attention spans are shorter than a goldfish's, so a quick demo can be helpful in that case. Sometimes even a landing page with a clear message is not enough, because people might be interested in our product, but they could have different preferences on how they want to use it. So product demo/workflow video can help us understand the users' needs better. What tool did you use to create the demos?
    Romio
    @mahir_mahdi for unfinished products; screenshots + voiceover with the help of DaVinci Resolve. And for others, a quick screen recording of the workflow with either Dropbox capture or loom.
    Mahir Mahdi
    @romiojoseph But what about creating a demo of the workflow before actually building the product? Something like this one:
    Adrian
    Yes that’s exactly what we’ve done !
    Mahir Mahdi
    Hey Adrian, how was the result?