• Subscribe
  • Music, AI and Rights?

Darmawan Disiek
    1 reply
    A.I tools has been booming since earlier this year. So far we have seen A.I chatbot (GPT), image generator (DALL-E, Midjourney) been utilized habitually, at a rate we haven't seen before. If one dig deeper, they may also find A.I lawyer, doctor, personal trainer, even psychiatrist. But A.I in music? Has anyone heard of it? I know it existed after a few session of browsing, does it even work? Wouldn't it be amazing if in the next few years we could leisurely create a full orchestra music with a single command? Yet since A.I would generate it by taking pieces of other songs, musics, choir it has been trained on, we could expect to hear familiar choirs in some of the music it generate. Wouldn't this cause some problem for composers and songwriters? Do you think there exist a system to protect the original creators? Some of my friends are in the music industry, and I can tell it's not easy receiving their rights and royalties even before A.I got involved.

Replies

Jessica Liu
    That's a good question! I think the music created by AI should be labeled to avoid those problems you mentioned.