• Subscribe
  • Tips for introverts for networking

Paweł Puchalski
    6 replies
    Do you have any networking tips for introverts? I have no problems with talking to people 1 on 1, but during conferences and bigger gatherings, I'm overwhelmed with a number of people and just want to get out as soon as possible. Do you have any tricks to stay focused and connect with people?

Replies

Alexander Galitsky
    We just have to get out ASAP. That’s the only option 💀
    Ryan Chen
    Great question, Paweł! As an introvert myself, I’ve found a few strategies that help. One-on-one conversations are definitely more comfortable, so I focus on finding quieter areas during conferences where I can have more meaningful interactions. Also, setting small goals, like talking to 3-4 people, can help avoid feeling overwhelmed. Lastly, I like to follow up with people via LinkedIn or email after the event, so I don't feel pressured to connect with everyone in the moment. Hope these tips help!
    Paweł Puchalski
    @hswpro That's an awesome tip. Haven't thought about finding some quiet areas with few people. Will definitely try it out next time! Sometimes big spaces with crowds can be quite overwhelming.
    Eloise Xu
    Set Clear Goals: Before attending an event, decide what you want to achieve—whether it’s meeting a specific number of people or learning about a particular topic. Prepare Conversation Starters: Have a few questions or topics ready to help break the ice, such as asking about someone's recent projects or opinions on industry trends. Leverage Online Networking: Engage on platforms like LinkedIn or Twitter before in-person events. This can make face-to-face interactions easier since you’ll already have some context. Find a Buddy: If possible, attend events with a friend or colleague who can help facilitate introductions and ease anxiety. Focus on One-on-One Conversations: Seek out smaller groups or individual conversations rather than trying to engage in larger crowds. Listen Actively: Introverts often excel at listening, so use that to your advantage. Show genuine interest in others’ stories and experiences. Take Breaks: If you start to feel overwhelmed, step away for a few minutes to recharge. Find a quiet space or take a short walk. Follow Up: After the event, reach out to people you connected with. A simple message can help solidify the relationship without the pressure of immediate interaction. Practice: Attend smaller networking events or meetups to build confidence gradually before tackling larger ones. Be Yourself: Embrace your introverted nature. Authenticity is attractive, and people appreciate genuine connections.
    Magomed Vedzizhev
    For introverts, focus on quality over quantity by aiming for a few meaningful conversations rather than trying to meet everyone. Set small, achievable goals like connecting with one or two people, take breaks when needed, and use 1-on-1 follow-ups after the event to build deeper relationships in a more comfortable setting 🙌
    Fitri Maulida
    One great tip for introverts looking to network is to leverage social media. After the event, try connecting with the people you met online. This approach can help you build relationships without the pressure of face-to-face interactions, which can sometimes feel overwhelming. ;)