• Subscribe
  • We reached 600+ upvotes with our first launch - wasn't enough. But why?

Matous Kralik
    5 replies
    When we first launched, our ambitions were sky-high. We aimed to make a significant impact. Personally, I invested heavily in preparation, purchasing and studying around 15 ebooks on running a successful campaign on Product Hunt. I meticulously followed every guideline and even exceeded some recommendations. Despite our efforts, we found ourselves outpaced by brands with lesser initiatives but stronger social media presence, active engagement, and larger communities. They rapidly accumulated 1000+ upvotes, while we struggled. This raises a question: How do brands achieve 500+ upvotes within the first few hours and then steadily climb to over 1000, all without resorting to tactics like buying upvotes? We're gearing up for a December launch and would appreciate your support. If you're interested, feel free to hit the 'Notify me' button at our Product Hunt page: Boost Space on Product Hunt.

Replies

Nico Spijker
    It's part of the complete random nature of Product Hunt. You can prepare as much as you want for a launch, but if an influencer with a large following or a large company releases a product or update you're unlikely to surpass them on launch day. You still get 600+ people to show up for your product, share across channels and have conversations during your launch day. So definitely not all is lost :).
    Matous Kralik
    @nicolaas_spijker What about you and your launches? Any best practices you could share across?
    Nico Spijker
    @matous_kralik Two main things that come to mind: 1. You want to be in the top 3 as soon as possible. They now changed the system which I agree makes thing fairer, but once the page actually shows upvotes not he homepage you really want to be in the top 3 already to get eyes on your product. -- I think there is also a natural upvote pattern that products higher up achieve just by their position. Second is to have a global network, in past launches we reached our peak a few hours in but afterward didn't have enough of an audience to show up. We were basically missing support from the Americas to keep momentum going. Definitely something to keep in mind.
    Elen Udovichenko
    That is a common struggle. You never know who launches on the same day as you. One of my previous launches was going pretty well in the first few hours but then Open AI dropped its GPT4 and, obviously, outpaced us in no time 🫠 But hey, being second to THAT kind of product is not bad!