• Subscribe
  • What qualities should a good designer have? Are professional skills and creativity the most importan

Kim HM
    2 replies
    I used to work at a 4A ad agency, and the design team there won a bunch of international awards. But they never talked to people in other departments and only focused on making pretty pictures, even if that's not what the client wanted. Who cares, right? There's an account service team dealing with clients, so if anything goes wrong, it's their fault, not the design department's. Now, the designers at my company haven't won big awards, but they really care about their projects, deliver on time, and double-check details like content, preferences, and target audience with demand side before starting. So the final designs usually meet expectations and don't need major changes. I like working with partners like that. If you're a designer, what do you think makes someone "excellent"? If you work with designers, what kind of designer do you think is really good?

Replies

Kevin Lu
    The attitude of willing to communicate is an extremely important quality; I have seen many designers insists with their design work so much that they ignore clients' needs and perspectives, and it ends up with a good design without functionality~
    Kim HM
    @dot_brand I totally agree, communication is the most important thing. No matter how skilled someone is, if their designs don't meet the needs, their efforts are wasted.