• Subscribe
  • Your experiences on doing everything on your own as solo maker

Bjarn Bronsveld
    4 replies
    As a small solo maker, you are probably working on a product with no team and therefore have to do various tasks yourself which you would normally delegate to colleagues. Think about development, design, marketing, customer service and much more. In my experience, I have always identified myself as a "Jack of all trades, but master of none" - but in a good way. It doesn't necessarily mean you suck at all of them but you are just qualified enough to understand what you have to do and how to do it. Though, you will have to accept the fact that someone else is the master in i.e. marketing or development in this case. With the goal to expand my business in the future it is a great idea knowing I have at least a bit of knowledge on what is involved in the process of marketing, design etc. Now I am curious on your experiences. How did you handle the workload of doing all of these tasks on your own. Let's share! 😄

Replies

Philip Snyder
    Delphi — Digital Clone Studio
    Delphi — Digital Clone Studio
    When something presents itself as a problem/opportunity I'll learn it There are many soft skills you can learn in like 6 months - Hard skills being STEM related fields You can learn sales & design to a "decent" level in a relatively short amount of time.
    Bjarn Bronsveld
    @philipsnyder Exactly, being curious enough to learn those skills (even if you have 0 experience with them) helps you to understand the basics, which eventually makes you a better business owner as you understand the concepts of those fields imo
    Lars Klopstra ⬙
    When I launched my first product I had no marketing or support experience, I was just a dev. I'd just say: see what comes across your path. Things will go wrong, and that's fine, just make sure you learn from it! :)
    Stacey Bloom
    Perhaps my experience will seem sad to some people, but it's still my experience, thanks to which I became much stronger and more confident in myself. When I launched my product, I had a main job + I was also involved in some volunteer projects. It turns out that I had 3 jobs if it's possible to say so. I had been working at this pace for about 1 year, after which I began to notice negative changes in my body, such as increased drowsiness, apathy, I constantly wanted to cry, I gained weight, etc. At some point, I realized that I just couldn’t cope with everything, and I decided to visit an online therapy session. I attended several of these meetings with an online psychologist, after which I realized that I had taken on too much. And I had to give up my ideas for a while and take care of my mental health. But in the end, everything worked out for me, though not in the time frame I set. Therefore, to all enthusiasts like me, I recommend to soberly assess your strength and capabilities, so that later you don't solve problems with your health.