• Subscribe
  • How do you separate work + life … when you work + live at home?

Jim Morrison
    10 replies
    I'll be honest — I struggle to separate work + life now working-from-home is the norm. What are your tips for keeping the boundaries clean & clear??

Replies

Samuel Noriega
    I have the same question. I usually can not stop working and I hit 1 am easily on a regular day I can really easily sit at the desk during the weekend to work for "a few hours" and end up working 8-9 shifts without notice. Let me know when you find the answer!
    Jim Morrison
    @samuelnoriega I will do! I usually work from the early hours and stop before lunchtime but if you're working with other people, especially in other timezones then it's almost impossible to segregate work + life... and if you start replying on your phone everything takes three times longer. I find having a laptop handy and doing short, focus stints (standing up!) replying to people during the day helps... rather than going back to my desk (sitting down) and getting sucked in for hours.
    Samuel Noriega
    @jimbomorrison I agree, it is specially hard when you work on different time zones. In my case I am in CET and my team is on EST/PST. 9-hour difference now! but we make it work!
    Lewis P
    This is a tricky problem. A lot of writers, computer programmers and web designers work at home. The problem with working at home is that you have no separation between work and home. The only thing that you can do is – focus.
    Jim Morrison
    @lewis_ppp yeah, WFH can be great for focus if you can lock yourself away somewhere secluded... Do you have any tips on how to create a healthy separation Lewis? What do you find works best?
    Samuel Lake
    Try to separate your workspace and when you're not at the workspace try not to respond to any emails or anything
    Jim Morrison
    Great plan @sam_drotar ... but tricky when you walk past your workspace all day every day. How do you keep yours separate? Do you have a separate room?
    Samuel Lake
    @jimbomorrison Yeah I do which defiantly helps, I can for sure see how hard it would be if it was in a common area